Inner Demons

Lately I've been thinking a lot about inner demons. Those little voices in our heads that tell us that we are not good enough, that we cannot do it, that we are not loved. Everyone has different ones. Sometimes we listen to them, sometimes we defy them. Sometimes we believe them. They prey off of our fears and hold us back. None of this is new thinking.

Mostly what I have been considering is how to embrace those inner demons, accepting them as part of ourselves, without believing them. I know and accept my limits, but those are very different than my demons.

My inner demon
everyday
whispers
the same old thing
a lie, a truth
I cannot know
certainty is not
a human trait

my inner demon
everyday
whispers sweetly
in my sleep
unconsciously priming
all my thoughts
to start my day off
unbelievingly right

my inner demon
everyday
whispers daring me
prove me wrong
you can't
you cannot do
what you want to
and its not worth your life

my inner demon
everyday
whispers quietly
confidently right
no one loves you
no one could
too quirky and too broken
no one would

my inner demon
everyday
whispers silently
and years I've listened
heard and seen
and known him right
yet now I whisper back
I love you too

1 comment:

Translate