Resolutions

"The thing about resolutions, I find is . . .there’s always tomorrow." – Bilbo Baggins

It's about that time of year again. The time where everyone makes resolutions for the New Year and sees how long they can keep it up. I can always tell when it's after New Years when the amount of people at the gym skyrockets with new members trying to fulfill their get-in-shape resolutions.

I've never really been much of a New Years resolution maker myself, but I thought this year maybe I would give it a try. I've decided I want to allow myself to take the time to write more. When I was younger I used to write all the time, but over the past few years life has gotten in the way.

Now I'm by far no resolution-keeper expert, but one thing I have noticed, at least for myself, is that it is much easier to keep a resolution longer if you have something concrete to aim for. For instance, "get in shape" is too ambiguous. One could say "well, round is a shape, so I guess I'm done." Instead, the resolution could be: "I want to lose 10 lbs" or "I want to go to the gym 4 days a week."

I need to set some distinct guidelines for my resolution. So I found an unused notebook in my closet and I've decided that every day, starting January 1st, I want to fill at least one page. Maybe that page is filled with complete mumbo jumbo, then so be it. Only time will tell how long I'll last.

What resolution did you make?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate