Year Challenge Goals: The Triathlon

I am going to try a triathlon.
Next weekend.
In Alabama.

Yes.
Swimming, biking, running.
All together.
Very quickly.
With a crowd of other people.
Early in the morning.


I am aware that in this, as well as maybe other aspects of my life, I am crazy.


However, it has actually been some fun. It has been amazingly tiring. And my body has never been as sore before in my life. But, I am connecting to my community as never before, and learning so many new things. My thank you have to go out to most of the Sewanee community. Between supplying me with equipment and coaching and encouragement, I would never have been able to do this for the first time without y'all.

It is amazing to think that in high school I actually day dreamed about doing a triathlon. I was much heavier then (by about 70 lbs!), and triathlons involve running, and I was firmly against running. For this bookworm, sweating was totally disgusting. It might be an understatement now to say that I have gotten used to sweating.

However, I learned somewhere in the last year about life challenge goals and so I set myself two for this year. The first is to complete a triathlon. Hopefully next Saturday I will do this. My goal simply is to finish. The second goal that I set for myself this year is to go on a date. I have decided that it doesn't even have to be a good date as long as it is actually a date.

Honestly, I am not sure which is going to be harder.
I have spent four months now training almost every day for this triathlon. Yet, thinking about trying to find a date has been scarier than thinking about swimming, biking, and running for more than three hours on a Saturday morning.

Either way, I am looking forward to accomplishing both of these challenge goals this year.

If anyone I know in Southern Tennessee or Alabama is looking for something to do next Saturday and needs some inspiration, come see me cross the finish line! It will be quite the sight to see. ;)


2 comments:

Translate