Food Shopping with the "Oh, I Can't Eat THAT" Brigade

I gave this post that title for a reason.
You will understand by the end of the tale.
If you don't, I can't help you.

Food is a big deal in my family.
Partly because the Homeless Man is picky,
Partly because of Celiac Disease,
and partly because of my own current dairy-free, soy-free diet.
But we all love banana bread
(I mean, who actually eats these outside of delicious banana creations??)

However, banana bread requires this little thing called butter.
You've probably heard of it.
Its infamous really.
(If you haven't heard of butter... I don't even know what to say, but look it up.)

So I've been looking around for dairy-free, soy-free, gluten-free butter alternative.
Such a thing is actually made
By Earth Balance it seems.
However, even the Wegmans near me doesn't carry that variety of Earth Balance.

And so I got what seems to be
the best
the safest
and the most like-butter consistency alternative

Lard.












And thats all that can be said about that.

3 comments:

  1. Did you know that you can use applesauce instead of butter in almost any recipe? The ratio is 2/3 cup applesauce to every cup butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lard still makes the best pie crusts and flour tortillas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, I do sometimes use applesauce to replace butter, but there still seem to be those lingering things that actually need a butter alternative that is similar to butter.

    the banana bread is quite good too (it must be the lard :) )

    ReplyDelete

Translate