A Collection of Over Two Thousand Geeky Women...

Last week I attended the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing Conference in Atlanta. It was quite an adventure. Once we arrived at the airport we needed to find a way to our hotel. So, we took the subway. It was a bit scary; there were multiple signs for what to do if you feel like you are in a dangerous situation. Not exactly reassuring. Although it was a bit more comforting when one man was able to gather quite a few people for a sing-a-long. Once on the street we wandered around until finding the hotel.

The hotel was, to say the least, glamorous. Story after story after story. And the elevator walls were glass, which made it quite fun to ride down from the 12th floor. I had to remind myself that I am an adult now in order to prevent myself from continuously riding the elevator more than necessary.

The actual conference was very nice as well. There were plenty of good presentations and discussions to attend, and more free stuff than one could ever imagine... One company even gave me a laundry bag. I mean, really?

Meeting all the people was very interesting. I met one girl who called our project "pretty epic" and was quite excited to find that we had named our printer R2 and boasted that her lab contained a cardboard cutout of Han Solo in carbonite. Pretty jealous I am.

To close out my adventure, I went to a dance that they held for all the attendees of the conference, almost all women. Let me tell you, watching 100s of very nerdy and professional women dance to Party in the USA and form a gigantic conga line is something you don't see everyday...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate