A little water + dry Math = Fun, Vivid Math

'"Vividness" in Mathematics'
http://scienceblogs.com/evolutionblog/2013/02/14/vividness-in-mathematics/

Of course I choose the article this morning about mathematics and literature. Mathematics in conjunction with other subjects is awesome. Mathematics does not get the credit and attention it deserves. Coming from the girl who double majored in college in Mathematics and Religious studies. However, I do think all of the men in the article make a good observation about the state of mathematics in the United States. Math is presented and taught in dry little lines of pure notation and you really have to stretch your own imagination to understand or figure out what is important and useful about the mathematics beyond the problems given. While I really disliked my integrated math program in middle and high school, the greatest thing about that program was that the mathematics was presented in vivid ways. The problems were vivid and obviously showed what good the mathematics would do for you. I remember the calculus projects I did in high school where we had to figure out the volume of a Hershey kiss and a Reese's peanut butter cup by calculating the area under the curves, after of course figuring out the curves, so that we could figure out how many of each we could pack on a trip. The project was a little in depth for normal practical application, but it was fun and we saw calculus in normal areas of life beyond parabolas and limits. I think a little vividness in mathematics would help expand the way that people think about mathematics and why it is an important subject to learn, especially on higher academic levels. I am not totally sure about this, but it seems that teachers and textbooks do a better job of making math vivid for younger audiences, but when you get into high school and college, especially college, the vividness of what mathematics does is somewhat lost. Mathematics does take a certain way of looking at the world and a dedication in some areas to abstract notions, but even if mathematical ideas could be better taught with vividness, people may not be able to do the mathematics themselves, but they would have a better understanding of some natural phenomena. My senior mathematics thesis sealed this idea for me in that lots of people understand the idea of what I did and learned about, the recreation of the grid beyond MC Escher's Print Gallery print using math, though they could not do that themselves. In every case that I have explained it, people walk away with a little more appreciation for what mathematics can do.

Obviously I like math. I don't like its bad reputation and that people do not think it connects to anything else. I just connected it to food and art. Just ask me sometime to connect math and religion. I always have fun with that. ;)

2 comments:

  1. We are housing a K-4 private school in the church. One set of parents withdrew their son and placed him in the Baptist school because he wasn't memorizing his multiplication and division tables. At age 8 he can come up with the correct answers because he knows how each functions and can do the math in his head. The parents learned the dry method and want the same mistakes for their son. Funny thing is they left their 6 year old daughter in the Learning Center.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too weird! Did they really like memorizing the tables? I hope they learn before their six year old gets there.

    ReplyDelete

Translate