Have a Science Talk on Me


I like my Lenten study so much. Reading and reflecting on the science of the day has been a lot of fun and has given my mind some thing else to wrestle with. Today I read two articles. There are too many articles that I want to read and cannot keep up with them all. Neither were about scientific breakthroughs or cool scientific techniques or anything, but they were interesting and things that as someone in the religious world I need to think about. The first was about how we can use cancer as an analogy for social injustice in the world. I think that is a good analogy. http://cancerincytes.scienceblog.com/2013/02/26/the-cancer-that-is-social-injustice-2/ Apparently there is an institute looking at and helping healthcare needs of the products of social injustice. I don't know much about psychology, so I don't know if there is study about the creation of social injustice and what fuels people to tear other people down. Certainly, I do not know anyone that likes to be torn apart on a daily basis, so I don't know why we tear each other apart on a daily basis. I do understand that there is a lot of misplaced anger in the world because we cannot blame the real structures which create our suffering. And granted there are simple people who create suffering for others. Whether all such cases are products of structures which perpetuate social injustice, I cannot say. However, I can say that we need to take a careful look at the structures we employ to see if they are creating or maintaining social injustice. Then we need to do something about them to change them.
On a different note of Christian moral life, I also read an article about pushing the boundaries of science. http://thebrainbank.scienceblog.com/2013/02/25/pushing-scientific-boundaries-how-far-is-too-far/ It is interesting to me that the article talks about the motives driving the boundary pushing studies in order to judge whether they are acceptable. I am not sure how scientific boards which regulate such things determine what is pushing the boundaries and so forth, but I can say that I am glad the author did not take an end justifies the means approach. We cannot know where we will be in another hundred years and what we will accept as normal at that point. I am so looking forward to seeing what changes over the course of my life. As painful as the discussions about scientific boundaries has been and as painful as the discussions about public ethics and morals are, I am very glad that we have them. I do believe that talking through issues with people of differing opinions helps the general understanding. If you don't agree, talk to me about it. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate