The Climate Challenge


http://scienceblogs.com/significantfigures/index.php/2013/02/20/climate-change-snow-and-ice-and-water-resources/

I think this article is very good in its description of some of the changes happening with climate change in a short article. I think however that articles like this do not do enough to talk about the opportunities of climate change. I am not talking about pool contractors making a fortune in coming years in temperate zones because of increasing heat or whatever, but the opportunities to create new technology and reuse the resources we have better. Necessity is the mother of invention, correct? Humanity has a lot to invent soon. Otherwise I am going to cry every year when I cannot dream of a white winter because such things no longer exist. I love my soft snow and my blowing snow and my crunchy snow and my dense snow which never seems to go away despite warm days. I like my hot summer days as well, but I love snow. Granted, I am in no position to talk about making new things. I can barely keep up with my own work, let alone playing with ideas for new inventions. But imagine a world in which we could reallocate money so that education and welfare could be better funded and managed, then people could be challenged to be creative and work together. I guess that is really what is missing. The challenge. People are out there thinking and commenting on what is going on in the world. People are having 'parking lot' meetings behind the backs of all the people we think should be taking care of issues and we are judging how they are doing without necessarily helping. We need to help each other. We need to challenge everyone to share their vision and their voice. Perhaps one person cannot afford to build something which they have dreamed, but someone else doesn't have a dream but the time and resources. Matching them up might be hard, but it would be even harder if no one shares their positions. I have never worked in a lab and I have never worked with other people's ideas in building, however it does seem to me that we could help each other out. Who would we give these ideas to? Colleges? Corporations? Anyone know? More importantly, what are your ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate