What do you take for Granted?


http://scienceblogs.com/sciencepunk/2013/02/20/implanted-bionic-eye-allows-the-blind-to-see-again/

This article is very cool. It is impressive that scientists have been able to make forward progress in helping some people to see again. The article does say that the picture is not very good and the analogy is a fuzzy black and white tv, but for someone who has lost all their sight, being able to see anything would be very exciting. Obviously, I have never been blind. I could end up being blind at some point in my life, but I am hopeful that it won't happen any time soon. I have though lived with broken bones and the implication of not being able to use my dominate hand for a good while. That was painful and interesting enough to make me think differently about what I take for granted. I do not take my abilities to move and write and braid my hair and tie my shoes for granted anymore. When I am good, I remember to be thankful for all the things which I can do easily that other people struggle with. It is also kind of like being on a special diet. Knowing one's limits really makes a difference. There are not many worse things than trying to go too far with a broken bone or a health problem and then being in pain because of your own challenge. I am so glad that we can use some of our scientific knowledge to be helpful to people who feel that they have lost something. There are always opportunities in things, but we have to mourn our loses first. Lots of people get stuck on one side or the other, without allowing themselves to either hope or mourn properly. I am glad the article mentions about the perspective of the people in the study for whom even the littlest bit of returned sight is a gift. We should all be thankful for the gifts we are given, even if other people do not think they are gifts. I am grateful for every chance to be with my Latro. I am grateful for everyone who has struggled with dietary problems before me and has allowed me to use their recipes to make wonderful things without what everyone else takes for granted. Because even food isn't for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate