A Serious Distance Problem

http://scienceblogs.com/universe/2013/02/15/what-distance-is/

I really like this article. More of just a description of something we all know and feel, but do not talk about per se. I have been struggling with distance issues myself these past few months. First, because I am in a long distance relationship and that changes how and what forms of connection and communication are intimate. Second, on the opposite side of the spectrum, there is a classmate of mine who violates my sense of space whenever he comes near by. My thoughts on this second problem have bridged that knowledge and distance divide since I get annoyed that he has touched my arm even though he does not know me at all. The presumed closeness without true knowledge is disturbing at that point. Constrasted totally with the true knowledge that my boyfriend has without the ability to be in any close distance.
I always loved the Powers of Ten video. Mostly for me it showed how things are so relative. What we think of as close range from inches to feet, but the real close things are things so close we cannot see or feel them. I do not wear socks to bed and when comparing with other people I explain it as not being intimate with socks so they can't be in bed with me. Yet, they surround and enclose my feet at a distance of nanometers and I rely upon them to keep my feet warm.
Relativity poses a serious distance problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate