Keeping the Heart of the Matter - Marie Daly

http://www.usasciencefestival.org/schoolprograms/2014-role-models-in-science-engineering.html?pid=366&sid=767:Marie

Today is a history lesson. The first African American woman to get a PhD in the US did so in Chemistry in 1947 from Columbia. Her determination alone is enough to commend her to our eyes. Not many women at the time were able to set out and accomplish that which they wanted to at the time. Even still today, many women do not feel that they are able to accomplish what they want with their lives. For many it is family responsibilities, feeding, clothing, and caring for their loved ones. For others it is the institutions of the world who refuse to allow women to work in certain places or who do not take the words and actions of women seriously. Thankfully, I have grown up in a time and place which has afforded me the ability to be who I want to be and to work for what I want to accomplish. I am very grateful to the women who walked before in me in the world and in my chosen career field. (If you follow Lent Madness, I can tell you I will be voting for Florence Li-Tim Oi.) There are plenty of ways in which the world has worked against these institutions and towards better lives for women. Recently we had the One Billion Rising campaign day, which goes against violence towards women in the world.
I don't know much about Marie Daly, but she obviously followed her heart and I think that is what is great about anybody who makes their own life in this world. Its an especially easy analogy to make considering she studied heart health as related to cigarettes and diet. Marie Daly is not the only woman or man or person who is notable because they followed their heart and made an impact on the world. I am hopeful that in the coming days I will get to think and learn about other new people in science who followed their hearts and made an impact for which we can all be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate