Even Mummies have diseases!

The science article today is about how mummies have atherosclerotic vascular disease as well. That is when your arteries clog up and get hard. It causes heart attacks, strokes, and other deadly symptoms. I do not know much about it. I know that I saw a bunch of patients in the hospital this past summer with it. I saw a man have one of his arteries cleaned by surgery this summer because he had, and was in danger of having more, strokes. I am glad that someone thought to check how long this disease has been going on by looking at mummies. Lots of things can be blamed on lifestyle and diet, but if this kind of problem is actually naturally part of the aging process, then it can be looked at and monitored differently. I looked up the definition of disease and was surprised. I always thought that disease meant something that you contracted, not something that was naturally part of you. While I will have to think about the definition of disease a little bit more, I know I do not agree that every disease is abnormal. Some 'diseases' are quite normal. They are just another thing that makes us a little bit different from each other. We are unique. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate