Lenten Stingrays and Tectonic Plates!

I read two articles this morning. I am having a slight problem focusing, just fyi.

The first was about the stingrays in Stingray City in the Cayman Islands. Apparently lots of people visit the stingrays and pet and feed them. Some researchers have found that this is messing with normal stingray behavior. Instead, all the human activity is changing the stingrays into domesticated herd animals from their lone night ranger standard. Just another way humanity is changing the world in which we live. Given the popularity of the stingrays, I bet humanity does not want to hurt the animals. I wonder, does stingray behavior change in zoos?

The second article was about the plates under California. I once read a book about geology. And yes, that's about all the knowledge I have of that study. Well, a little bit more about the study of geology in Turkey considering that when I went to Turkey it was on a joint geology and religious studies trip. We did more religious studies than geology, but we did talk about the volcanoes in the area and the way they had changed the landscape. It seems that geologist have made a few discovery about the plates under California. I wonder if this means California will break off sooner or later than current thinking. We might actually not want California to do so since they grow so much food and wine. One of the ultimate wait and see scenarios!

In case you were wondering, Lent is almost over. This Sunday is Palm Sunday and then Easter is a week behind. This coming Monday is Passover for the Jewish tradition as well. I do not think I will continue to write about science everyday. However, I do think I will continue to blog more regularly and to talk more about science. I have all the best intentions!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate