Sports Statistics for the Win!

http://scienceblog.com/60747/how-numbers-can-reveal-hidden-truths-about-sports/

While growing up, I heard a lot about sports statistics from my brothers. They knew the stats of all their favorite players and one of my brothers would calculate statistics for his made up teams. So I am not surprised that many people with science and mathematics skills are researching better and more thorough ways to calculate what is really going on during different sporting events. I am not at all surprised to learn that environmental factors truly affect the way that field goals are made, but I am a little surprised that psychological factors do not seem to have anything to do with whether a field goal is made or not. I have read a little bit about the mind body connection and how we can make ourselves sick, stressed, happy, changing our emotional make ups which changes our performance in other situations. I am a little bit surprised to learn that in cold weather, field goals are more likely to succeed. I would think that normal temperatures, mid range I guess, would be better. I however, do not research this stuff, so I will take their word for it. I am curious how fast the sports statistics world will change in response to new information like this. I know they came out with a movie about the book Moneyball last year, but I haven't seen it. Perhaps someday. Mathematics in popular culture!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate