Ngram Fun!

I read an interesting article for a book fan today. It is about how the expression in literature has decreased in the last century. Even more so because it reminded me of the Google Books Ngram Viewer which is a lot of fun to play around with.
Like this. The usage of Yoda and sonic in English literature since the 1800s. Obviously sonic wins out because it is a adjective.
However, if we just look at where it is used as a noun, we get this. Sonic the Hedgehog isn't as well used as Yoda (though then I realized I was using sonic and not Sonic, so I adjusted for that and got this. Darn). I really wonder what the discussion about Yoda around 1910 was...

Also interesting that despite the rise of the nones in religion talk, the use of the word atheism has gone down since 1800.
For my Latro, Big Data is definitely on the rise. For some of my classmates, women modifying priest, being talked about in literature since the 1800s. Boo-yah! And lunch is on the rise!

[And here is where I sneakily 'accidentally' turn off my internet because otherwise I will be playing on Ngrams all night... which doesn't win out against day...]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate