Trash, Cash, and Graph Laplacians


The articles I read today were really cool and very geeky. "Turning Trash into Cash... And Saving Energy" http://scienceblog.com/60743/turning-trash-into-cash-and-saving-energy/ is a must read for Sonic. I loved the line about the dorm refrigerator and the teddy bear humidifier. If that is not a cool sentence, I don't know what is. I do have an extra dorm refrigerator and a penguin humidifier, perhaps I could make myself a RecycleBot. I will have to look it up. The implications, as stated about people living in garbage dumps selling 3D printer plastic, are awesome and very practical. I do not buy plastic milk cartons since I do not buy real milk anymore, but I am sure that is not the only kind of plastic that can be recycled in this manner.
The second article I read today was highly mathematical and only for those who understand the phrases "numeric linear algebra" and "solving graph Laplacians." http://scienceblog.com/60745/new-technique-for-solving-graph-laplacians-has-big-implications/ If you don't understand those two, its not worth reading the article. Just know that the researchers at MIT are still doing their jobs in coming up with great theoretical ways of solving problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate