Invisibility and Ice

I read two articles today. I am trying to get lots of science in before my Lent practice is done. Obviously, I don't have to stop when Lent is over, but I won't be doing this every day. (Speaking of Lent, can you believe that Francis Perkins won Lent Madness? I can't. Totally was not one of the people I picked to go all the way through. I am glad to have learned about her and her work and I am glad that she has been recognized, but I am thoroughly surprised.)

The first article I read was about the summer melt season in Antarctica. If you haven't learned by now, Antarctica is really high on my place I want to go list. Unfortunately, the temperature is increasing in Antarctica which is causing more of the snow and ice to melt during the summer season. I would love to look at the scientific computer models they use to show the extent and implications of this extra water, alas. I do think that everyone should change their habits to be more green so that we can take better care of our planet. I have started a few things, composting, saving cold water from the shower before it gets warm, turning everything off in my house before I leave, riding my bike or car pooling as much as I can, etc. There are more things that can easily be done, I just don't know of all of them at the moment. What do you do to help the environment?

The second article I read today was about using something called a metascreen to cloak objects from microwaves. This is new and cool for two reasons. First, this technique is much thinner than other invisibility techniques, and second, the technique cloaks the object better than previous techniques. The metascreen is made out of copper and polycarbonate film in a certain pattern in order to have the waves bouncing off of the cloaking material cancel each other out. Pretty nifty, huh? Someday, Harry Potter will not be the only one with an invisibility cloak! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate